Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Custom Tokens #3: Colorless Artifact 2/2 Spawn (from Spawning Pit)

It always really annoys me when certain cards I use don't have cool-looking tokens to go with them. Photoshop to the rescue!

There are tools online you can use to make your own tokens, but they have limitations, and I want my tokens to look as legitimate as possible—and that means using the most modern token layout (which debuted, I believe, with Magic 2015) and the proprietary Beleren font. Now, I don't have access to that font, so all the titles and type-lines of the tokens I make have to be spliced together in Photoshop from existing cards. The results, fortunately enough, look really good!


This card is incredibly good in Commander, since it's a free sacrifice outlet that can also provide tokens after a sweeper (and those tokens are colorless artifacts, for blocking creatures with intimidate, fear, or a Sword of Feast and Famine equipped). Here's my version of the token at full resolution so you can print it out for maximum effect:

The art comes from Sliver Construct by Mathias Kollros, from Magic 2104, with some Photoshop expansion of the top part of the image. This is one of the few instances where the new, humanoid design for slivers is a blessing, since this card just looks like a generic "spawn"!



As a final note: now that I have these tokens all built in Photoshop, it's really easy to swap out the art for anything else. If you find some better art and would like me to make a custom token for you using that art, just post it in the comments (or tell me where I can find it), and I'll put 'em together!

1 comment:

  1. hey can I order these tokens? Or is this art basically just designed to be used for printing proxies. Would like to have some physical tokens for my spawning pit because it feels weird not having the tokens. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete