Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Custom Tokens #8: Blue 5/5 Spirit Dragon (from Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang)

It always really annoys me when certain cards I use don't have cool-looking tokens to go with them. Photoshop to the rescue!

There are tools online you can use to make your own tokens, but they have limitations, and I want my tokens to look as legitimate as possible—and that means using the most modern token layout (which debuted, I believe, with Magic 2015) and the proprietary Beleren font. Now, I don't have access to that font, so all the titles and type-lines of the tokens I make have to be spliced together in Photoshop from existing cards. The results, fortunately enough, look really good!


This is a classic, powerful piece of equipment that not enough people know about. I have a Commander Cube that you can expect future Card Stock posts about (and if you want to check it out now, follow this link to the cube's CubeTutor page). In a recent game, a friend of mine had drafted a Narset, Enlightened Master deck, and he had Where Ancients Tread, Warstorm Surge, and Rite of the Raging Storm in play. When Narset cast a Tatsumasa, we were already scared because it gave his hexproof, first-striking commander +5/+5... but then he was able to eliminate a player by swapping the sword into a 5/5 dragon and dealing ten direct damage out of nowhere. Then and there, I vowed to make a cool Dragon Spirit token to go with the sword. Here's my version of the token at full resolution so you can print it out for maximum effect:

The artist for this piece is unknown: I found it from the "Wallpaperest" website, which did not cite its source. Note that the "triggers from exile" clause is in reminder text, since it's an ability of Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang and would not be printed on the token itself. Still, it's sometimes easy to forget the trigger, so I added the reminder.



As a final note: now that I have these tokens all built in Photoshop, it's really easy to swap out the art for anything else. If you find some better art and would like me to make a custom token for you using that art, just post it in the comments (or tell me where I can find it), and I'll put 'em together!

No comments:

Post a Comment