Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Custom Tokens #4: Red 2/1 Goblin (from Rakdos Guildmage)

It always really annoys me when certain cards I use don't have cool-looking tokens to go with them. Photoshop to the rescue!

There are tools online you can use to make your own tokens, but they have limitations, and I want my tokens to look as legitimate as possible—and that means using the most modern token layout (which debuted, I believe, with Magic 2015) and the proprietary Beleren font. Now, I don't have access to that font, so all the titles and type-lines of the tokens I make have to be spliced together in Photoshop from existing cards. The results, fortunately enough, look really good!


I have a Ravnica Cube (if you want to draft the cube or to look at the cube's cards / guiding philosophies, follow this link to the cube's CubeTutor page), and Rakdos Guildmage is a solid card there... but there are no 2/1 Goblin tokens. Here's my version of the token at full resolution so you can print it out for maximum effect:

The art here is a modified version of a piece of art called "Goblin Piker" by Christopher West, from Digital Art Gallery Online. In the original, there was a different logo on the goblin's armor pauldron; I replaced it with a Rakdos symbol. I think the shading makes the new symbol look pretty good. Note that the "exile this creature" clause is in reminder text, since it is just a delayed triggered ability and shouldn't actually be printed on the token itself. I used the Dissension expansion symbol because that was the first printing of Rakdos Guildmage.

No comments:

Post a Comment