Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Custom Tokens #1: Green X/X Elemental (from Marath, Will of the Wild)

It always really annoys me when certain cards I use don't have cool-looking tokens to go with them. Photoshop to the rescue!

There are tools online you can use to make your own tokens, but they have limitations, and I want my tokens to look as legitimate as possible—and that means using the most modern token layout (which debuted, I believe, with Magic 2015) and the proprietary Beleren font. Now, I don't have access to that font, so all the titles and type-lines of the tokens I make have to be spliced together in Photoshop from existing cards. The results, fortunately enough, look really good!


This card makes X/X Green Elemental tokens, which means it's wise to have a bunch on hand since they are likely going to have different sizes. I have two versions of that token for you, both displayed at full resolution so that you can print them out for maximum effect:

This first version uses the art from the card Axebane Stag by Martina Pilcerova, from Return to Ravnica. Marath's horns suggest to me that his Elementals might be stag-like, and they can be quite large or as small as 1/1, so I'm happy that this art looks good representing both big and small creatures.

This alternate version uses Marath's art, which makes it VERY clear where the Elemental token came from. If you think it's goofy for Marath to be semi-cloning himself, feel free to use the other token!


As a final note: now that I have these tokens all built in Photoshop, it's really easy to swap out the art for anything else. If you find some better art and would like me to make a custom token for you using that art, just post it in the comments (or tell me where I can find it), and I'll put 'em together!

No comments:

Post a Comment